TIME TO KNOW MORE ABOUT KURISA MOYA
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET TO KURISA MOYA
- Kurisa Moya is approximately 3 hours from Pretoria, and 3.5 – 4 hours from Johannesburg depending on the traffic on the city-side.
- It will take you approximately 2 hours to get to Kurisa Moya from Louis Trichardt / Makhado OR Punda Maria OR Phalaborwa OR Hoedspruit
- See the DIRECTIONS page for more detailed information
WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE DO I NEED?
- From Johannesburg, the roads are all tar up until 500 metres from the gate where a gravel (dirt) road begins. Shortcuts from Tzaneen and Louis Trichardt would involve approximately 20 km’s of dirt road.
- Kurisa Moya’s internal roads are all gravel / dirt roads but a 4x4 vehicle is not necessary. Most sedan vehicles can use our roads but low-slung vehicles need to drive slowly and carefully because there are run-offs for getting the rain off the road so it may be bumpy in places.
- There are 4x4 roads on the property but all of the main roads are accessible with a normal car.
IS THERE ELECTRICITY / POWER AVAILABLE?
- Kurisa Moya is electricity-free so you can put away the laptops and ipads and get away from it all. You don’t lack for anything:
- Lights are solar powered, candelabras, paraffin lanterns and gas lamps
- The gas fridge has a freezer and the gas stove has an oven
- Hot water is via gas or solar geezers
- If necessary, camera batteries or mobile phones can be charged at the office on the solar system
IS THERE A RISK OF MALARIA?
- There is no risk of malaria at Kurisa Moya. We are in a malaria-free area
IS THERE CLEAN DRINKING WATER AVAILABLE?
- Kurisa Moya’s water is delicious! It is sourced directly from a spring on the property and is put through filters and checked regularly for water quality.
IS THERE CELL PHONE RECEPTION AT KURISA MOYA?
- Kurisa Moya has limited cell (mobile) phone reception. There is reception around the office area and the Farmhouse steps, the Forest Lodge parking area and the front door at Thora Boloka, as well as at the main entrance gate. Reception depends on the kind of phone you have as well as the weather. The office landline is +27 (0) 15 276 1131 if anyone needs to get a message through to you.
ARE MEALS AVAILABLE?
- Our Chef, Grace Ramoraswi would be happy to cook for you if you don’t feel like catering for yourself. She needs at least a week’s notice so she can plan in a supplies trip. She will bring your meals hot and ready-to-eat to your door.
CAN I BUY ALCOHOL OR FOOD SUPPLIES AT KURISA MOYA?
- We do not have a liquor license and do not sell alcohol at Kurisa Moya. Nor do we have a shop. You can stock up in Polokwane, Tzaneen or Louis Trichardt depending on where you are travelling from.
WHERE IS THE LAST STOP FOR PETROL / FUEL?
- From Johannesburg, the easiest stop for fuel before Kurisa Moya is at the SASOL filling station. Instead of turning left to the University of Limpopo, turn right to the SASOL filling station and then go straight across the R71 towards the University of Limpopo when you come out again.
- From Tzaneen, there is a SASOL filling station just out of town on your right hand side as you are heading for the R36
- From Louis Trichardt or Punda Maria, the last filling station is at Mooketsi just before you turn onto the Kudu’s River Valley / Houtbosdorp road.
WHAT TEMPERATURES SHOULD I EXPECT?
- Kurisa Moya has hot summer days and lovely warm nights. There can be thundershowers in the rainy season. Winter days are mild and clear but are chilly in winter.
- Our venues have wonderful patios, stoeps and decks as well as gardens to best enjoy the wonderful weather.
- Each venue has a fireplace for cold winter evenings as well as winter sheets, extra blankets and hot water bottles.
WHY IS KURISA MOYA ONE OF THE TOP BIRDING DESTINATIONS IN THE COUNTRY?
- Kurisa Moya has a pristine piece of indigenous forest nestled in a valley below Schnellskop Mountain. This forest is home to specials such as the Black-fronted Bush-Shrike, Narina Trogon, Green Twinspot, Rufous-chested Sparrowhawk, Barratt’s Warbler, White-starred Robin, Knysna Turaco and Buff-spotted Flufftail
- David Letsoalo, South Africa’s top local Bird Guide has been based at Kurisa Moya since 2005 and makes forest birding an event to be remembered. Check out the BIRDING page under ACTIVITIES
WHY IS KURISA MOYA RATED AS ONE OF THE TOP ECO-LODGES IN THE WORLD?
- Take a look at our RESPONSIBLE TOURISM page for all the answers
WHAT IS PROVIDED IN THE VENUES?
- The kitchens in all the venues are fully kitted-out for self-catering with pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, serving bowls, cooking utensils, braaing (barbeque) utensils, corkscrew, tin opener, potato peeler, bread boards, sharp knives etc
- Dishwashing liquid, dishcloths and drying cloths, garbage bags are supplied
- Candles, matches, firelighters and firewood are supplied. Please bring charcoal for a hot cooking fire.
- Soap, hand cream, toilet paper, tissues are supplied. Bring your own toiletries.
- All bedding and towels are provided including extra blankets and hot water bottles. Swim towels for the dam are not provided.
- There are torches (flashlights) next to each bed.
- Magazines, some books and games are provided in the venues
- Tea, Rooibos tea, instant coffee, plunger (bodum) coffee (and bodum plunger), and creamer are provided. Please bring your own milk.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME?
- All your supplies such as food, drinks, ice, charcoal etc if you are self-catering
- There is no shop or bar on Kurisa Moya and the closest shops are 45 minutes away
- Fill up with fuel because the nearest filling station is 45 minutes away.
- Binoculars, camera, spotting scope etc
- Good walking boots or sandals
- A walking stick if needed for up and down-hills
- A good selection of clothing for changing weather conditions
- A warm jacket or raincoat
- Sun hat or cap and sunscreen
- Towels for swimming in the dam
- Insect repellent for mosquitoes and ticks (available to buy at Kurisa Moya)
- Extra camera batteries
- Charcoal for a hot cooking fire if you are going to braai (barbeque)
- Mountain bikes for the Adventure Mountain Bike Trail
- Your dogs if they need a holiday (we are pet friendly)
- A sense of curiosity and adventure
If you did not find the answer to your question, email or phone Kurisa Moya on +27 (0)15 276 1131 or +27 (0) 82 200 4596 and we would be happy to explain the set-up.